|Some abusers seek employment in situations where they will come into contact with children so they can groom them for abuse. You need to follow safe recruitment processes to ensure that children attending your dental practice cannot be targeted this way.
- Include your child protection policy in information sent to potential job applicants; this alone has been shown to discourage potential abusers from applying
- Check application forms carefully. Are there any gaps in employment? Ask about these at interview. Is there any indication that the applicant may have been dismissed from previous employment? Ask about frequent job changes and the reasons for them
- Request proof of identity and ask about any change of name. Check documentation carefully e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate
- Ask for references from former employers, and take these up prior to confirming an offer of employment
- Carry out a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check.For further information and updated advice, consult the NHS Employers’ and CRB websites. New arrangements for safeguarding vulnerable children and adults come into force from October 2009. Further information is available from www.isa-gov.org.uk
Other sources of information:
Your LSCB/ACPC may have recruitment standards for agencies working with children.
Dental professional organisations provide further information to members on recruitment.
Back to top